Investors who want to open a beverage company in Hong Kong
need to comply with the ongoing conditions for producing, depositing and manufacturing alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks in the Special Administrative Region.
Special licenses are needed to enter the beverages industry in Hong Kong and the safety of the products is a primary concern. The food and beverages industry in Hong Kong is subject to regulation and control, whether the items are produced locally or imported.
Companies in Hong Kong
that enter the food and beverages industry can also be involved in export and re-export activities. Company formation in Hong Kong
is simple and easy and the main steps for registration also apply to a beverage company.
Requirements for beverage companies in Hong Kong
Special permits and licenses
are needed to perform activities related to the manufacturing, selling and import or export of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Business licenses are needed for:
- manufacturing of alcoholic drinks including beer, distilled wine or spirits, Chinese tonic wine and others;
- the import and export of these types of beers, wine or spirits;
- the production and sale of soft drinks, carbonated or mineral water, beverage concentrate;
- the production and sale of tea, coffee, and cocoa.
The soft drinks and carbonated water industry in Hong Kong is subject to the Trade Effluent Surcharge. The charging scheme for this tax is established by the Drainage Services Department belonging to the Government of Hong Kong. Beverage companies are required to pay the trade effluent surcharge in addition to the sewage charge because their pollution level exceeds that of an ordinary domestic sewage.
Companies involved in the import and sale of beverages can be subject to additional licensing in case of alcoholic products. When setting up a Hong Kong company, observing the licensing and permit obligations is an essential step, and one during which our team can assist you. please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions, other than the issues presented herein.
One of our Hong Kong company formation
specialists can give you specific information on the business licenses needed to operate a beverage business in the city.
The Hong Kong company formation process
- choosing a company type;
- choosing and verifying the company name;
- drawing up the company documents and opening a bank account;
- registration with the Companies Registry and obtaining the special permits and licenses;
- commencement of operations in a local registered office and as per the safety requirements in the business.
Professional company formation advice and support can be provided by a team of experts at any of the stages described above.