Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

  • Level 8 Cambridge House, No. 979 King's Road, Taikoo Place, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong
  • clients(at)opencompanyhongkong.com
  • +852 35651861
Our Articles

Set Up a HORECA Company in Hong Kong

Set Up a HORECA Company in Hong Kong

The tourism industry is an important part of Hong Kong’s economy and it is one of the three economic pillars of the city, together with the financial services and trade sector.

The hotel, restaurant, and café (HORECA) industry is diverse and well represented throughout the main touristic areas of the city.  Investors who wish to set up a HORECA company in Hong Kong need to observe the local requirements for these types of establishments.

Company formation in Hong Kong is a simple and straightforward process and foreign investors in the hospitality industry benefit from the same investment rights as nationals. Investors who want to open a company in Hong Kongin this sector, can receive help from our team of incorporation agents.

Requirements for HORECA companies in Hong Kong

HORECA businesses in Hong Kong encompass a wide range of types of companies involved in the hospitality industry. These establishments can combine one or more elements in the hotel/restaurant/cafe trio. 

Hong Kong has special laws and regulations for hotels and guesthouses and for restaurants and establishments that sell drinks and foodstuffs in general. Restaurants in Hong Kong need to obtain a General Restaurant License and comply with the premises requirements. Examples of additional licenses for restaurants and cafes include the liquor license, the bakery license or the food factory license as well as relevant import licenses if needed.

Hotels and guesthouses need to comply with the Hotel and Guesthouse Accommodation Ordinance. Like the restaurant, these types of establishments will need to obtain a special license for their particular type of activity and additional ones from the Buildings Department and the Fire Services Department.

All HORECA companies need to obtain the special permits and licenses needed for their type of activity and one of our Hong Kong company formationagents can help you apply for these special permits.

Open a company in the HORECA sector in Hong Kong

All companies in Hong Kong need to be registered with the Companies Registry. Before this step, investors are required to select a type of company and a unique company name. A bank account in Hong Kong is required to deposit the minimum share capital.

One of our Hong Kong company formation agents can help you during all of any of these steps. Our specialists can also provide you with important details about the Employment Law in Hong Kong and how to hire qualified staff forHORECA companies.

Contact us for complete information on how to start a HORECA business in Hong Kong and if you have any questions about company registration in Hong Kong.